0:00: With the Spring anime season to talk about, Justin and Helen quickly get into Dogakobo, who is doing Shikimori This season, had to temporarily close due to a COVID-19 outbreak within staff at the company. With that and various other COVID-19 stories, we’ll continue to be dealing with this for a while longer.
3:18: The NHK reportedly learned via multiple sources that Toei was the victim of a ransomware attack, which would explain why everything had to stop for nearly a month. Since the 4 delayed shows running this season have aired, and the Dragon Ball Super film now has a release date.
5:30: Doraemon Co-creator Fujiko Fujio A passed away at 88, and Justin and Helen discuss the impact the creator has had in the industry.
6:52: Yen Press had announced the following titles at this year’s Sakuracon:
- Sunsunsun & Momoco’s Arya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian (LN)
- Kei Sazane & Toiro Tomose’s Gods’ Games We Play (LN)
- Sakae Saito’s Touring After the Apocalypse
- Kazuki Minamoto’s The Gay Who Turned Kaiju
- Shinta Fuji & Susumu Kuroi’s Apparently, Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World (LN)
- Koushi Tachibana & Tsunako’s King’s Proposal (LN)
- Yu Shimizu & Asuka Keigen’s The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy (Manga)
- Mari Yamazaki’s Thermae Romae (A new Omnibus edition)
- Visions 2022 Illustrators Book
They are also launching a new imprint – Ize Press (10:31), which will be all of their Korean content moving forward, and here’s what their debut titles:
- HYBE & BTS’ 7FATES: CHAKHO (novel and comic)
- HYBE & ENHYPEN’s DARK MOON (novel and comic)
- HYBE & TOMORROW X TOGETHER’s THE STAR SEEKERS (novel and comic)
- SAN.G, Yuns, & 3B2S’s Tomb Raider King
- singNsong, S-Cynan, & Undead Potato’s The World After the Fall
- JH’s The Boxer
- Early Flower, Teava, and Yeoseulki’s My Gentle Raised Beast
- Gwon Gyeoeul & SUOL’s Villains Are Destined to Die
- Alphatart & Sumpul’s The Remarried Empress
14:35: Kodansha released Tomoko Hayakawa’s The Wallflower digitally; ShuCream BL has released 3 new titles on MangaPlaza; and Local Manga will release Sumeshi’s BL HOTEL digitally in May.
15:20: Retrocrush is not only going to be streaming a bunch of anime over the next couple months, but some live action stuff as well:
- Tama and Friends
- Genji Monogatari Sennenki
- Natsume Ono’s House of Five Leaves and Ristorante Paradiso
- Usagi Drop
- Akachan to Boku (Baby & I)
- Antique Bakery
- Aishiteruze Baby
- The Hideaki Anno: The Final Challenge of Evangelion two-part documentary series.
- 2 Zëram live-action films.
- The Detective Conan: Shin’ichi Kudō’s Written Challenge – The Good-bye Prologue live-action television special under the title Detective Conan: The Letter of Challenge.
- The first three episodes of the 2020 live-action mini-series of Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan
- S1 of NHK’s live-action TV adaptation of Moribito.
- Itazura na Kiss ~Love in Tokyo (Mischievous Kiss: Love in Tokyo), the live-action television adaptation of Kaoru Tada’s Itazura na Kiss manga as well as Mischievous Kiss 2 ~Love in Tokyo~, and the Korean version of Itazura na Kiss (titled Playful Kiss/Mischievous Kiss).
- Kimi wa Pet (Tramps Like Us)
- Boys Over Flowers (Korean TV version)
- Nodame Cantabile
- Daughter of Lupin.
- Switch Girl!!
18:09: GKIDS has licensed the anime short Summer Ghost. They intend to release it this summer. Both hosts hope they do!
Main Topic: Spring Anime 2022 First Impressions
18:29: Justin and Helen once again find themselves watching a lot of anime in one particular season, and Spring usually has a good amount of interesting titles. So they waste no time — well, prompted by Helen — to discuss one of the best anime of the season, Ya Boy Kongming!, before talking about other shows they’re watching (Like Aharen-san, Love After World Domination, Spy x Familyand of course, Bookworm Season 3!)
1:13:08: The weird, strange saga involving Ayakashi Triangle may have a resolution now that the series will be moving to Shonen Jump+ in Japan. Note the “may” in the “have a resolution” part…
1:15:36: Shueisha removed Mariko Kikuchi’s web manga centering on children who were born into a religion due to parents having practicing a particular faith, which Justin and Helen discuss a bit about their decision.
1:18:56: A former Editor-in-Chief resigned from their job…to do manga?!?
1:19:51: Justin believes that there are certain anime that, whether you love or hate them, do just enough to justify getting a sequel…Fruit of Evolution It doesn’t appear to have done any of that, but it is getting a Season 2. But to distract from them still continuing the work, they’re doing limited edition NFTs of one of their characters!
…it appears the disdain hasn’t yet reached Japan so much…